The Wisconsin organization of Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) recently presented Associated Bank with a Workplace Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Award for its commitment to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive culture.
Laurie Riedy Timmerman, director of colleague experience, accepted the award on behalf of the company at SHRM’s annual conference in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin.
“We believe that a culture that fosters diversity and inclusion is essential to our long-term vitality,” said Timmerman. “This award is particularly valued, as it provides esteemed third-party endorsement of our efforts and success.”
According to Wisconsin SHRM representatives, Associated Bank distinguished itself in several areas including:
- D&I outreach efforts and community involvement
- Encouraging and supporting employee resource groups (ERG) — a best practice
- Providing employees with a diversity calendar and yearly diversity training
- Executive leadership on the company’s active D&I Council
- A multiyear strategic plan to enhance diversity in the company’s culture
- Strong D&I performance metrics, including a significant increase of minority hiring (e.g., women in senior-level positions)
“I believe that active participation in the company’s Colleague Resource Groups (CRGs) is strong evidence of our progress with D&I. Approximately 1,300 colleagues are involved in one or more of our five CRGs,” said Judy Docter, chief human resources officer. “These individuals share common commitments in several areas of D&I focus, including women’s networking, cultural awareness, young professional development, veteran-based programming, and LGBT communication and outreach.”